District Departments » Academics » Fast Forward Information

Fast Forward Information


What is required of parents and students before beginning to use the Fast Forward program?


Students and parents must sign the Fast Forward Participation Form before being eligible for state funding. This form should be turned into the school district (please do not send this to the State Department). There are risks to taking advanced courses. The form outlines some of the potential risks so that the students and parents are aware before they commit to the course(s).

One important thing to consider is that the student’s grade will be recorded on the student’s high school transcript if the state pays for the course, regardless of the course outcome.

Students and parents also need to communicate with their school district to learn the school district’s policies and deadlines for participation in the program and registration in the state Advanced Opportunities portal for funding.


How do I apply for Fast Forward?


To utilize the Fast Forward funds, requests must be made through the student’s local school district. The student will be asked to fill out a participation form that will be kept at their school. Depending on local processes, the student may need to request funds for specific courses/exams through their Advanced Opportunities account, or the school coordinator will apply on their behalf. Check with your school’s Advanced Opportunities coordinator to learn more about local deadlines and procedures.

When applying for Fast Forward funds, please note that this does not take the place of college registration for dual credit. Each college/university has an admissions and course registration process for their institutions.


Where do I turn in the Fast Forward Participation Form?


Please give the form to your school counselor or career advisor. Please DO NOT send it to the State Department of Education.


 Can Career & Technical Education (CTE) credits be paid for by Fast Forward?


There are two types of CTE credits: Technical Dual Credit and Technical Competency Credit. The Fast Forward program can pay for the Technical Dual Credit taken by a student and also approved CTE exams. However the cost for Technical Competency Credit cannot be covered by Fast Forward.



Fast Forward funding may not cover the cost of textbooks or additional course fees. It may only cover dual credit tuition, overload high school courses, credit bearing exams, and approved CTE exams.

What happens if a student fails a class paid for by this program?

If a student fails a class, then the student has to take a “like” course, pay for it personally, and pass it before being eligible for further state funding. For example, if a student failed a 3 college credit History 111 class (cost $195), then the student could take a 3 college credit Psychology 101 class (cost $195) the following semester to be reinstated to the program. The student is still eligible for funding in other categories of funding; in other words, if a student fails an overload course, it will affect funding for future overload courses, but not dual credit courses.