District Information » Title IX Information » Title IX - Discrimination Information / Section 504

Title IX - Discrimination Information / Section 504

Title IX - Discrimination Information



Vallivue School District does not discriminate on the basis of sex. Parents and patrons with concerns related to gender or Title IX should contact the Title IX Coordinator:

Annie Deming at (208) 454-0445, ext. 1149. [email protected]

Our offices are located at 5207 S. Montana Avenue in Caldwell, Idaho.

Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (“Title IX”) is a federal law that prohibits sex based discrimination in all educational programs and activities, including athletic programs. No person shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any educational program or activity operated by the district. Title IX protects all participants in the district’s educational programs and activities, including students, parents, employees and job applicants. The district does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its education programs and activities. As used in this policy and accompanying Title IX grievance procedures (see Policy 296P1), sex discrimination includes complaints of sexual harassment or sexual violence.

All questions regarding Title IX requirements may be referred to the district’s Title IX Coordinator. The Title IX Coordinator may be contacted at: Vallivue School District 5207 South Montana Ave., Caldwell Idaho 83607, (208) 454-0445. The Title IX Coordinator can provide information on Title IX, including information about the Coordinator’s position, complaint procedures and applicable district policies to any student or employee who feels that his or her rights under Title IX have been violated by the district or its officials. In addition, any student or employee may make an inquiry or complaint directly to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights. 

This policy, and the procedures for filing a Title IX grievance, will be available in every school site administrative office, posted on the district’s website, and included in student handbooks or other policy and procedure notices provided to students on an annual basis.

(Full Title IX document)


Section 504

Your Righs Under Section 504

Pursuant to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the District has a duty to identify, refer, evaluate and if eligible, provide a free, appropriate public education to disabled students. 
You have the right to be informed by the school district of your rights under Section 504. This is a notice of you and your child’s rights under Section 504 and the rights you have if you disagree with the school district’s decisions.


Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, commonly
called “Section 504,” is a federal law that protects
students from discrimination based on disability. Section
504 assures that students with disabilities have
educational opportunities and benefits equal to those
provided to students without disabilities. To be eligible, a
student must have a physical or mental impairment that
substantially limits one or more major life activity.


Your child has the right to:
● Receive a free and appropriate public education.
● Participate in and benefit from the district’s
educational programs without discrimination.
● Be provided an equal opportunity to participate in the
district’s nonacademic and extracurricular activities.
● Be educated with students who do not have
disabilities to the maximum extent appropriate.
● Be educated in facilities and receive services that are
comparable to those provided to students without
● Receive accommodations and/or related aids and
services to allow your child an equal opportunity to
participate in school activities.
● Receive educational and related aids and services
without cost, except for those fees imposed on the
parents of children without disabilities.
● Receive special education services if needed.


You have the right to:
● Review your child’s educational records and to receive
copies at a reasonable cost. You will not be charged if
the cost would keep you from reviewing the records.
● Ask the district to change your child’s education
records if you believe that they are wrong, misleading,
or are otherwise in violation of your child’s privacy
rights. If the district refuses this request, you have the
right to challenge the refusal by requesting an
impartial hearing.
● A response to your reasonable requests for
explanations and interpretations of your child’s
education records.


Your child has the right to an evaluation before the
school determines if he or she is eligible under Section
504. You have the right to:
● Receive notice before the district takes any action
regarding the identification, evaluation, and
placement of your child.
● Have evaluation and placement decisions made by a
group of persons, often called a “504 team”, including
persons who know your child, the meaning of the
evaluation information, and the placement options
● Have evaluation decisions based on a variety of
sources, such as aptitude and achievement tests,
teacher recommendations, physical conditions,
medical records, and parental observations.
● Refuse consent for the initial evaluation and initial
placement of your child.
If your child is eligible under Section 504, your child has a
right to periodic re-evaluations, including re-evaluations
before any significant change is made in your child’s


If you disagree with the district’s decisions regarding
your child’s identification, evaluation, educational
program, or placement under Section 504, you may
request mediation or an impartial due process hearing.
You and your child have the right to take part in the
hearing and have an attorney represent you. Hearing
requests and other concerns can be made to your
district’s Section 504 Coordinator:
Section 504 Compliance Officer
Letha Blick
5207 S Montana Ave
Caldwell, ID 83607
(208) 454-0445
You have the right to file a complaint of discrimination
with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil
Rights (OCR), or to file a complaint in federal court.
Generally, an OCR complaint may be filed within 180
calendar days of the act that you believe was
discriminatory. The regional office is located at 915
Second Ave, Room 3310, Seattle, WA 98174-1099.
Phone: 206-607-1600/TDD: 206-607-1647
Website: www.ed.gov/OCR .