Per the Southwest District Health Department (SWDH), Canyon County is seeing an increase in cases of pertussis (whooping cough). Vallivue School District is proactive in preventing the spread of illness through the following measures:
- Vallivue District Maintenance has increased the cleaning of frequently touched surfaces with germicides.
- Vallivue Health Services supports wellness through year round implementation of the Vallivue School District Health Guidelines.
- Vallivue Health Services is in close contact with SWDH and follows recommendations when applicable.
Parents can help prevent the spread of pertussis by following the recommended guidelines from SWDH.
- Keep your child home and call your doctor if your child has a cough or any of the following symptoms:
ü Coughing fits,
ü Coughing fits which may or may not be followed by a “whooping sound” as the person catches their breath,
ü Vomiting after coughing, or
ü Shortness of breath.
- If your child has been diagnosed with pertussis by his or her doctor:
- Tell the school that your child has been diagnosed with pertussis.
- Keep your child home until prescribed antibiotics have been taken for five full days.
Vaccination is the most effective way to prevent pertussis. For more information on pertussis please review the Fact Sheet, visit https://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/ or call the local Health Department at (208) 455-5442.